Adding Glass or Changing Your Cut Out
Adding glass to your door or installing a larger size glass can be a great way to let more light into the home, update the look of your door, or adapt your door from a discontinued door glass size/shape.
A carpenter or handyman can help you do this if you do not have the necessary tools. The project takes roughly 1-2 hours.
Supplies you will need:
- Marker or painters tape (to draw the outline the desired cut out on your door)
- Screwdriver (to remove door from hinges)
- Saw horse (to hold door while cutting)
- Saw (either a circular saw or Sawzall)
- Drill and metal drill bit (if using a Sawzall)
1. Remove door from hinges
2. Place door on sawhorse
3. Outline desired cut out on face of door using a marker or painter's tape. Double check the measurements line up with the required cut out for your new glass & frame kit
4. If using a saws-all, drill pilot holes at each corner so that you can insert the blade
5. Cut out the door, being careful to only make errors to the inside of the cut out
6. Install glass (see door glass installation page)
7. Replace door onto hinges